On Sat, 2013-02-16 at 08:20 -0800, Alan wrote:
> I have had some trouble for a long time with exporting some
> environmental variables from my .bash_profile or the .bashrc
>

> Even if I manually execute those files, the variables still are not
> set.  I have a echo 'path set' in files and I do see that when I do a:
>

> user@boxname:~$ ./.bashrc
> path set

You're not supposed to execute them as if they were programs. All that
does is start a new process with the environment specified in
the .bashrc file - it won't change the environment in the current shell
you're running. To do that run ". .bashrc" (or "source .bashrc) instead,
which tells the current shell to import the contents, not to run it.

Simon.