Em 08-09-2013 11:12, akhiezer escreveu:
>> From blfs-support-boun...@linuxfromscratch.org Sun Sep  8 13:39:45 2013
>> Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2013 05:23:59 -0700 (PDT)
>> From: Sirsendu Roy <xai...@yahoo.com>
>> To: akhiezer <lf...@cruziero.com>,
>>         BLFS Support List <blfs-support@linuxfromscratch.org>
>> Subject: Re: [blfs-support] Cannot Print document using HP Printer
>>

>> Hi,
>> Ok, Let's analyze the matter systematically !!!!
>

> Then you should, as more-or-less established, install Ghostscript (& perhaps
> also Gutenprint: tho' I don't know if that functionality would be already
> covered/provided by hplip).
>
> You're best to install that/those, and then re-do your original cups
> config/compile &c, and go from there. Debug one thing at a time: if instead
> you
> try to debug multiple things at one time then especially the likes of
> printing
> can really bite you.
>

>>  I have deleted everything using cups admin, job queue, printers.
>> According to BLFS cups installation manual, "There is a conflict between the
>> Cups libusb backend and the usblp kernel driver. If you want to use Cups
>> with libusb, do not enable USB Printer support in your kernel"
>>
>> I have enabled the USB Printer support option in the kernel (As I have
>> compiled the kernel before I have installed the cups module !!!). So I have
>> used the --disable-libusswitch when compiling cups.
>

> Just double-check: above, you say '--disable-libusswitch': is that just a
> typo?
> The switch should be '--disable-libusb' : did you use the correct spelling
> when
> compiling?
>

> Also, did you compile usblp into the kernel as a loadable module, or not?
> Can you verify that the usblp module is loaded and stays loaded?
>

>> Now when I try to use the cups front end using the web browser and try to
>> find the printer- it cannot not find the printer.
>> Do you think this is normal  as I have not compiled cups with libusb
>> support? if yes, then I need to add the printer manually, istn't it? Which I
>> tried to do but I do not know what I should write : the options are :
>> http://hostname:631/ipp/
>> http://hostname:631/ipp/port1
>>  ipp://hostname/ipp/
>> ipp://hostname/ipp/port1
>> lpd://hostname/queue
>> socket://hostname
>> socket://hostname:9100
>>
>> I have tried http://hostname:631/ipp/, ipp://hostname/ipp/ and
>> lpd://hostname/queuebut it didn't work !!!! it is saying not such hostname
>> when trying to print a test page.
>> It will be nice if you can provide me a step by step debug instruction
>

> Per above re ghostscript &c, then redo original compile &c.
> Use only the cups web-admin for now at least, when trying to add new
> queues/printers/&c.
> Bear in mind that you _might_ be hitting the old 'kernel doesn't reattach
> usblp'
> [...]

I have not studied this thread deeply, but I have had problems with cups
in the past, when tried to add the printer. One of them, I discovered
that cups should be installed before gtk+, or the web administration
interface would not find the printer. Another similar problem of not
finding the printer was with udev. This, I solved in [1]. However, my
printer is Epson and I use gutenprint.

--
[]s,
Fernando