        .
> > > Hi,
> > > I forget to write another problem :
> > > After having the solved the problem of KDE, when I logged in the desktop,
> > > I have lost all my configuration as I have renamed my .kde directory as a
> > > part of the debug process. But now when I start the kde terminal
> > > emulation program Konsole, Konsole starts but the home prompt does not
> > > appear, it only show a black screen, no cursor , no input.
> > >
> > > I have already updates the kde mime cache.
> > > Regards,
> > > Roy
> > >

> > If the problem was the permissions on /dev/null (per your other email today
> > in
> > the can't-start-kde thread), then you might want to backup your current
> > ~/.kde4,
> > and then move your old ~/.kde4 directory back into place, and see if kde
> > still
> > starts ok, and looks ok, and settings look ok, etc: and if all looks ok,
> > then
> > just go with that. That's what I'd do at this stage. Was konsole ok before,
> > when
> > you were running kde4, before the "can't-start-kde" issue?
> >

> > akh
> >

> Hi Akhiezer,
> I actually did what you have suggested but with same result. Before that
> problem everything was Ok.

Hmmm. Was it OK across reboots? And since it was last OK, what have you been
doing with/to the machine: what software installs, uninstalls, configs,
reboots,
&c?

> Can you please tell me how can I update the mime database or desktop cache,
> may be the problem lies there.
>
> I have already tried :
> update-mime-database /opt/kde/share/mime but with no result.

Like Matt's post says, you might be seeing another /dev/... issue. You might
want to review the lfs/blfs info on udev, /dev, lfs-7.4 sec 6.2 (VFS),
lfs-7.4 ch 7 (parts), faq re pty, &c to check that your system has got that
infrastructure in place properly. A google search on such as
'konsole blank no prompt' should give you some gentoo/arch/&c threads that
essentially walkthrough resolutions of similar issue for others.

Btw, if it _is_ a /dev/... issue, then you can likely retain your ~/.kde that
has all the settings you changed; i.e. you might not need to lose all that
work.
However, while debugging, I'd suggest using the freshly-generated one that kde
puts in place: and then at the end of debugging, swap out _that_ ~/.kde and
swap in your lots-of-config-changes ~/.kde.BACKUP; and if all looks ok, then
just go with that.

hth,

akh

p.s.
(Please don't top-post. (I've rearranged the above to correct it.)