On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 10:59:12AM -0400, Casey Daniels wrote:

> Did a search for those items you asked and this is what it comes up
> with.  I copied from what looked like the last good entry above it to
> where it started talking about cached variables. Hopefully something
> useful in there?

 This looks like most of the program fragment.  I think any useful
error messages come between the line where it said it was going to
run this test, and where you have started the copy !  In particular,
it tries to run the program fragment and something fails -
typically, a compiler error or a linker error.

> #include <stdio.h>
> | #ifdef HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H
> | # include <sys/types.h>
> | #endif
> | #ifdef HAVE_SYS_STAT_H
> | # include <sys/stat.h>
> | #endif
> | #ifdef STDC_HEADERS
> | # include <stdlib.h>
> | # include <stddef.h>
> | #else
> | # ifdef HAVE_STDLIB_H
> | #  include <stdlib.h>
> | # endif
> | #endif
> | #ifdef HAVE_STRING_H
> | # if !defined STDC_HEADERS && defined HAVE_MEMORY_H
> | #  include <memory.h>
> | # endif
> | # include <string.h>
> | #endif
> | #ifdef HAVE_STRINGS_H
> | # include <strings.h>
> | #endif
> | #ifdef HAVE_INTTYPES_H
> | # include <inttypes.h>
> | #endif
> | #ifdef HAVE_STDINT_H
> | # include <stdint.h>
> | #endif
> | #ifdef HAVE_UNISTD_H
> | # include <unistd.h>
> | #endif
> | static long int longval () { return (long int) (sizeof (size_t)); }
> | static unsigned long int ulongval () { return (long int) (sizeof
> (size_t)); }
> | #include <stdio.h>
> | #include <stdlib.h>
> | int
> | main ()
> | {
> |
> |   FILE *f = fopen ("conftest.val", "w");
> |   if (! f)
> |     return 1;
> |   if (((long int) (sizeof (size_t))) < 0)
> |     {
> |       long int i = longval ();
> |       if (i != ((long int) (sizeof (size_t))))
> |     return 1;
> |       fprintf (f, "%ld", i);
> |     }
> |   else
> |     {
> |       unsigned long int i = ulongval ();
> |       if (i != ((long int) (sizeof (size_t))))
> |     return 1;
> |       fprintf (f, "%lu", i);
> |     }
> |   /* Do not output a trailing newline, as this causes \r\n confusion
> |      on some platforms.  */
> |   return ferror (f) || fclose (f) != 0;
> |
> |   ;
> |   return 0;
> | }
> configure:25923: error: in `/sources/squid-3.3.9':
> configure:25925: error: cannot compute sizeof (size_t)
> See `config.log' for more details

 Those are just the summary lines that appear on the screen.

 Unfortunately, learning how to read the output from configure
scripts takes a little learning and I cannot remember all the
details unless I have an example in front of me :-(

ĸen