> > > BUT the first mentions of evdev in my log are
> > >
> > > [ 23798.003] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Power
> > > Button(/dev/input/event1)
> > > [ 23798.004] (**) Power Button: Applying InputClass "evdev keyboard
> > > catchall"
> > > [ 23798.004] (**) Power Button: Applying InputClass "keyboard-all"
> > >
> > > and that appears to be what causes evdev to get loaded.  I guess
> > > that's because the first entry in my /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d is
> > > 10-evdev.conf : that has the settings to match /dev/input/event* to
> > > the evdev driver.  10-evdev.conf comes from the xorg-server install.
> > >
> > > So, I guess there are three possibilities :
> > >
> > > 1. 10-evdev.conf didn't get installed - I guess that might happen if
> > > the build for xorg-server thought it was on a non-linux system, but
> > > it seems pretty unlikely.
> >
> > 10-evdev.conf is at /usr/local/share/X11/xorg.conf.d and verified to be the
> > same as the 32-bit install, which works.
>
>  I'm not sure I follow that : did you verify the file's contents or
> it's location match ?

Both its location and its contents match exactly.

> > I have the feeling that this is something to do with lib64 being hardcoded
> > into evdev/mtdev somewhere in the 64-bit build, but ldd shows everything to
> > be present and correct.
>
> Maybe strace would show you which places it was looking for conf
> files.  I'm note sure about that (you would probably need to follow
> the child processes), and the output would certainly be large.
>
> I forget - were both keyboard and mouse non-functional until you
> added the old keyboard driver ?

Both the keyboard and mouse were non-functional before I added the
/etc/X11/xorg.conf code to disable autoadddevice and installed the old keyboard
and mouse drivers.

Also, from a comparison of the 32-bit Xorg.0.log, it looks like some video
functionality is not being added due to the lack of evdev driver.

How would I go about using strace to check where the xorg-server is looking for
10-evdev.conf?

---
John