On Mon, Nov 04, 2013 at 08:03:09AM +0000, John Frankish wrote:

> > > 10-evdev.conf is at /usr/local/share/X11/xorg.conf.d and verified to be
> > > the
> > > same as the 32-bit install, which works.
> >
> >  I'm not sure I follow that : did you verify the file's contents or
> > it's location match ?
>
> Both its location and its contents match exactly.

 OK
> > > I have the feeling that this is something to do with lib64 being
> > > hardcoded
> > > into evdev/mtdev somewhere in the 64-bit build, but ldd shows everything
> > > be present and correct.
> >
> > Maybe strace would show you which places it was looking for conf
> > files.  I'm note sure about that (you would probably need to follow
> > the child processes), and the output would certainly be large.
> >
> > I forget - were both keyboard and mouse non-functional until you
> > added the old keyboard driver ?
>
> Both the keyboard and mouse were non-functional before I added the
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf code to disable autoadddevice and installed the old
> keyboard and mouse drivers.
>
> Also, from a comparison of the 32-bit Xorg.0.log, it looks like some video
> functionality is not being added due to the lack of evdev driver.
>
> How would I go about using strace to check where the xorg-server is looking
> for 10-evdev.conf?

 As a high-level overview : install strace [ link from the Other
Programming Tools page at the end of the main Programming chapter,
just before java ] - there is a patch in patches.  Then man strace
for the semantics.  Then strace startx.  Please note that I said
'maybe' - I'm not sure if it will be useful.

 When/if you get an output file, open it in view or less and look
for xorg.conf.d : the individual filenames aren't important,
anything ending in .conf will be read, so it isn't specifically
_looking_ for 10-evdev.conf, but it should read it if it finds it.

 If you do get an output file, I suppose that looking for evdev.conf
in it should be the first step, just in case it does find it but
takes a dislike to it.

ĸen