Firstly a minor typo in the third paragraph of the About Firmware section of Chapter 3 in the SVN version of the BLFS book. The line reads “firmware files can be accessed vau wget”. That probably should be ”firmware files can be accessed via wget”.

Next a comment/question about Firmware for ATI video chips. The method shown in this chapter shows making the radeon driver a module but when I do this then boot the resulting system two things happen. First, no Penguins! Second, and more importantly, the login prompt does not appear until I hit the enter key. The system seems to work properly otherwise, meaning I have an active framebuffer device that I can write to and see a response. When the firmware is built into the kernel everything functions as expected.

The nuts and bolts of my system:
    LFS-systemd 7.7
    AMD A10-7850K APU
        Kaveri [Radeon R7 200 Series]
        Oland XT [Radeon HD 8670 / R7 250]

The question is, Since this behavior is not a show stopper is it a problem I need to be concerned about, or is it just the way things want to work?

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions are welcome.

Skip H