On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 08:08:24PM -0400, William K Helbig Jr wrote:

> Yes, there are two video controllers, the Kaveri APU and the Oland XT,
> together requiring 16 pieces of microcode.
That probably explains why it takes so long.

> My remark re the Penguins was meant more to report what the system was (not)
> doing when the firmware was loaded as modules instead of being built into
> the kernel. My main concern was/is why the different results between modules
> and built-ins, particularly Ken has suggested that maybe it has to do with
>
> And speaking of the Penguins, on my system they do not scroll off the top of
> the screen. Even after logging in, they stay around until something actually
> clears the entire screen. While they are present I have a 60 line by 210
> character display area in which text scrolls. I presume that is a function
> of the framebuffer driver.
>
> Skip H

On all of my machines, the penguins always disappear a little while
after the console is set up, and certainly before the boot has
completed (but I do have a bit of BLFS in my minimal builds -
rpcbind, nfs-client, ntpd, postfix, fcron all add bootscripts).
With systemd, perhaps the penguins staying in place is normal.

What I might be doing differently to you is that I set up the
console font.  My machines all default to 8x16.  On some I use my
own 8x16 font to get better coverage, on others I use my own 12x22
font.  I don't think I could handle trying to read 60x210, let alone
whatever your full screen gives you.  At times in the past I have
used video= on the kernel command line, e.g. video=1024x768 or
video=800x600 when the screen is actually 1600x1200.

I also set a keymap, which probably doesn't affect things, and
enable unicode which, in the sysv build, causes some kbd commands to
be run on each tty (the S70console script in rcS.d).

ĸen