On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 11:30:21PM -0700, Paul Rogers wrote:
> > Do you actually use different resolutions on the same machine and same
> > display ?  With modern monitors I was under the impression that native
> > resolution was usually best, at least in X ...
>
> Indeed I do.  (I believe I said.)  ATM I'm using 800x600, albeit on a
> 15" monitor--native is 1024x768.  I've worn glasses since 4th grade,
> and I've had a partial retinal detachment in my right eye that has
> left "floaters".  From time to time I shift to higher resolution, but
> for the most part a larger screen just means 800x600 is that much
> easier to read.
>
> > And unless you have some high DPI monitor, more is generally better
> > (even if you have to change font sizes in preferences).
>
> Respectfully, no, not for everyone.  "WFM" means no more than that.

OK, point taken.
> > The modern way to change to a different supported resolution is to
> > use xrandr.
>
> I'll take a look.  I've dismissed it in the past because I never run
> dual-head, nor portrait rotated.

I had to use it when I was running VMs on one of the boxes which
died - I wanted a non-default resolution.  ISTR default was 1024x768
which was too small for multiple urxvt terms with the sizes and fonts
I was using, 1280x800 was not a lot better but it helped and still
fitted on the 1600x900 screen while allowing space for the host's
window panel(s).

As to your question about nouveau vs vesa, I suspect that it
depends, in part, on which particular nvidia card you are using.
The main difference seems to be that nouveau provides acceleration
on some (or all) cards.  If you don't need the acceleration, then I
guess vesa might be better for your needs.

ĸen
for them.'     -- Small Gods