On Sun, Jul 17, 2016 at 10:20:17PM +0100, Maximilian Friedersdorff wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 17, 2016 at 08:53:33PM +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:
>

> > In my own builds, evdev installs 10-evdev.conf (in my case that is,
> > I think, in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/ but building by the book
> > might put it somewhere else ;-)  Maximilian - do you have such a
> > file ?  In my case, it appears to be set to grab all keyboard
> > events, even from exotic keyboards.
> >
> > And that makes me think that evdev is the area you need to look at,
> > not udev.
> >
> > For people like us who don't use the 'us' keymap, the keyboard ought
> > to show up - if it appears as 'us' then some non-alphabetic keys
> > will differ but the alpha keys should be ok.
> >
> > Something like the following, in xorg.conf.d/11-keyboard.conf ought
> > to work for changing it from us to gb, when the keyboard shows up
> > (I forget if we cover this in the book, and my own is a bit more
> > complex) -
> >
> > # Based on a posting on the xorg lists, adapted
> > #
> > Section "InputClass"
> >        Identifier "keyboard-all"
> >        Driver "evdev"
> >        Option "XkbLayout" "gb"
> >        Option "XkbModel" "evdev"
> >        MatchIsKeyboard "on"
> > EndSection
> >
> > ĸen
>
> I tried placing the above in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ (which should be the
> standard location for these things.)  It made no difference unfortunately.
> There are similar files in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d, but they should be
> having no effect.  X11 was compiled with --sysconfdir=/etc.

If they were already in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d then adding them
to /etc is unlikely to change anything.
> LFS is now running directly on the hardware.  Most of the packages however
> were originally compiled while it was running in a VM.

A question I did not think to ask earlier - did Xorg work in the VM
?  For video, X in a VM probably needs a different video driver, but
unless it is vmware then the keyboard and mouse probably use evdev
as on real hardware.

> I have noticed the following lines in /var/log/Xorg.0.log:
>
>  UnloadingModule: "fbdev"
>  Unloading: "fbdev"
>
> This comes before the lines pertaining to the mouse mentioned earlier.

That is part of X determining what to do for the video and before
that you will see several lines about (possible) video modules.  On
some of my systems, when I built all of the possible video drivers I
got a list of up to 5 of them.

> Is it possible to attach files when posting to the mailing lists (n00b)?  If
> so maybe my Xorg.0.log might be helpful.
>
> Max

Should be fine - there is a size limit.  You can edit out all the
lines about video resolutiojs (after the first), on some machines
there are a lot of those and they are irrelevant to the keyboard
problem.

ĸen
for them.'     -- Small Gods