On Wed, Nov 09, 2016 at 08:37:15PM -0500, Richard wrote:
> On 11/09/2016 07:10 AM, Peng HG wrote:
> > http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/wiki/gimp
> >

> I deleted the files and directories that were
> installed with gegl-0.3.8, then I installed
> gegl-0.2.0 according to the instructions in
> a previous blfs book (blfs-7.8). After that
> I re-installed gimp-2.8.18 following the
> directions in the blfs-7.10 book, except that
> I left out the two sed's that are appropriate
> for gegl-0.3.8. Now when I run gimp from a
> terminal there are no warnings. Thanks for
> your help.
> I noticed in the INSTALL file for
> gimp-2.8.18 that gegl-0.2.0 is acceptable,
> a newer version is not required.
> From now on I will know to check the wiki
> first when I have a problem.

I'm glad it works for you, even with an old version (in BLFS we have
always preferred current releases), and particularly glad that
somebody wrote something useful in the wiki for this - the more that
is useful in the wiki, the better.

But I still think that you ought to concentrate on testing whether
or not a desktop application works for your use-case.  As I said,
gtk apps (in particular) often spew a lot of text onto stdout or
stderr when they are started from a term.  And these were all
warnings.

I'm not suggesting that you should go back to a newer version of
gegl - what you have should work well, and some debian or ubuntu
users apparently did have problems with the newer gegl - but in
the future you might want to test if the package works for what
you are doing.

Yes, I realise that at this stage you might not have a desktop
environment which lets you start desktop application from a menu -
on my (common) "smaller" builds I use icewm which ships with its own
menu system (a bit old, but ISTR the gimp is one of the few things
in that - I normally modify my menus, as in the book), or lets me
use it's equivalent of a runner (Alt-Space and type on the panel,
instead of Alt-F2 for a "real" runner)..

Meanwhile, enjoy it!

ĸen
for them.'     -- Small Gods