On 24/08/2019 15:11, Christopher Gregory via blfs-support wrote:

> Hello Pierre,
>
> From looking at elogind at git-hub, they have the following in their news:
>
> CHANGES WITH 241:
>
>         * The default locale can now be configured at compile time. Otherwise,
>           a suitable default will be selected automatically (one of C.UTF-8,
> en_US.UTF-8, and C).
>
> I am not sure if you compiled the french locale in or not.

Actually, I use an en_US.UTF-8 locale (easier to copy and paste messages
coming from applications to this list :)

But I think I've made some progress: according to the NEWS in
gnome-control-center package, the "login" button is not available if localed
is not running, so I'm more and more persuaded that this part needs a full
systemd (or to extract localed from systemd sources).

Also it looks like gdm might be using localed (and hence
/etc/X11/xorg.d/00-keyboard.conf, as suggested by Ken) for setting the
keyboard properties. But since localed is not running, it uses defaults.

Note that there is a dconf database /usr/share/gdm/greeter-dconf-defaults,
which is compiled at build time. We could also try to alter the defaults when
building the gdm package...

More to come?
Pierre