I have come into this thread late so apologies if this has already been
covered.

Odd sounds when you try to unsuccessfully access a link in IE  with Jaws is
a fairly common problem.  In most cases it is related to the installation of
third party toolbars in IE which interfere with Jaws. . In my experience the
Google and Yahoo toolbars are particular offenders in this respect.  Go to
View in IE and then Toolbars menu. Review the list of Toolbars. If Yahoo or
Google is there is and checked then uncheck these. You will have to
repeatedly go back into the menu to uncheck or  check  Toolbars as you can
only do one at a time.   Basically you want to ensure any third party
toolbars are not checked.

This will probably solve the problem but the other way to force Jaws to
execute links is to press shift plus enter on a link and this should let you
through.

If Jaws is reporting a blocked security pop up then pressing alt N will
enable you to read the options on the blocked pop up application or window.
You will have the option of continuing to block or run the application being
blocked.

If you have IE 7 and you really want to go back to IE6 you need to uninstall
IE7 which will  return you to your previous version of IE.

Regards

David Griffith