Hi,

1. You can access your files on the PC by setting folders to be shared. This
is pretty painless by viewing properties on a folder, locating the share
tab, then setting share this folder.

Sometimes it helps to turn off simple file sharing by visiting My Computer,
Tools, Folder Options, View tab, and uncheck the last option in the list.
Only do this if you are having issues with sharing the folders for it is a
little more advanced.

Keep in mind that both computers must be on the same "workgroup" defined
under Control Panel, System, Computer Name. The default is MSHOME. This
minor change can cause computers to not see each other.

2. If you want to operate the PC from your laptop, you will need to try one
of the following.

a. If on Windows XP Professional or similar version of Vista you can enable
Remote Desktop by visiting Control Panel, System, and Remote Access. This
will allow you to log onto your PC from the laptop using Programs,
Accessories, Communications, and Remote Desktop. You will need the IP
address of the PC for this to work, and you would need to create a user
account.

Personally, I use remote access to log onto my work PC, a Windows 2003
Server I run and other network PCs that I have.

b. If you are not using a professional version of Windows, you would need to
explore using Go to My PC, Norton PC Anywhere, or a similar product.
Unfortunately, Windows XP Home does not have remote desktop.

3. If you wanted to only access files on the PC, you could run an FTP server
on your PC to serve up files to the laptop. Really more trouble than it is
worth.

A rambling two cents offering.

Thanks,
Hi-Tech Tarheel