One thing I might suggest that often plays havoc with OCR packages is to
make sure the page is right side up when you scan it.

I realize that most software programs will turn it right side up after it's
scanned, then try to OCR it, but there is a possibility that it's trying to
OCR the upside down image, and that's why you're getting the chicken
scratch.

Have you tried scanning it twice, with each end the other way around?

Another thing I would suggest is taking a soft cloth to it, and cleaning it
so you are sure that it is clean.

Once you've cleaned it, try the suggestion I gave above and see if that
works out for you.

Victor

 http://www.jaws-users.com/BlindComputing.php