From: "JOHN JUSTICE" <john_just...@verizon.net>
To: "Sherrie" <sillygoo...@charter.net>; <blind-computing@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Sunday, January 11, 2009 11:26 AM
Subject: Re: [Blind-Computing] Need suggestions for assistive technology

Sherrie, this really opens the flood gates.

One of the most frustrating things for a visually impaired cell phone user
is to have some, but not all of the menus, spoken.  If someone could develop
a way for the cell phone and the PC to be linked so that changes could be
made on the cell phone through the screen reader and connecting software on
the computer, that would be a break through.  Even the best talking cell
phones have limitations which Jaws doesn't usually have.

Now as for the PC itself, how about developing the technology so that Jaws
or another program can read those annoying digital images that are commonly
used on many web sites as a security measure.  Even the latest version of
Jaws cannot read those images and that is incredibly frustrating.  You are
literally denied access to these sights without vision.
So far, as far as I know, no one has developed a completely reliable way to
translate those digital images into something we can use.
Here's an example.
On the Vanguard web site, you have to choose an image which will then be
used in any future connections to the site.  If you don't choose the correct
image, you don't get on the site at all.
The images in this example are things like a building, a gate, a tree, etc.
How in the name of Heaven can a blind person do that without trying to place
a label on these links.  I tried that but for security reasons, the images
are shown in a random display which means that the building might be at the
top of the list, at the bottom or somewhere in between.  Jaws is a great
program but that, it can't do as far as I know.

John Justice