Don't confuse the desktop with the system tray. It's my understanding that the desktop itself, if toocrowded, can actually slow your machine down a little. I imagine the number of icons would have to be quite substantial to be noticeable, but it's something worth thinking about. The system tray and the desktop are not two mutually exclusive concepts.

Bruce