For starters, "expanded" means that all messages of a given thread (your original e-mail and my and all subsequent replies for example) are listed individually in the review screen for the particular folder. On the other hand, "collapsed" means that there's only one message listed per thread so if this thread were "collapsed" arrowing up and down the folder screen would reveal only the top-most message (your original inquiry).

It seems to me that the later versions of JAWS (8 and beyond) were terrible at keeping this information straight on older versions of the OS. Now that I'm on Vista this annoyance h as disappeared -- hardly the solution one wants to have to facilitate.
----
Holland's Person, Bill
E-Mail: billgal...@centurytel.net
- The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!