Rick,
You could add rtf to your list.
At Optasia Ministry we put all our books in rtf format so that they can
be read on a variety of computers and with a variety of programs.  RTF
preserves more formatting than txt.

Note that the so called, empty, pdf documents can sometimes be scanned
For example, I use Open Book, whihch has that option built into it.
Blessings,
Tom

> Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 08:41:40 -0800
> From: Rick Watson <rwat...@eckeranch.com>
> Subject: [Blind-Computing] accessibility of various electronic book
>         formats
> To: "blind-computing@jaws-users.com"
> <blind-computing@jaws-users.com>
>
> Good morning listers,
> Along with my earlier question about epub I would also like to throw
> this topic out for discussion...
> I have been asked by an admissions director how I access various
> texts. As I am considering taking some various masters level courses
> I would like to present a complete picture.
> Obviously I can receive books from rfb&d as well as pdf(provided
> that text exists in the file) and text files. html files. and word
> docs.
> I can of course scan the books with ocr packages.
> I have already used these formats.
>
> what other technologies have others used and found to be
> successful?
>
> thanks
> rick

Online Medical Insurance
Get free online medical insurance quotes and save more money today.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=-K7z_z2LSUnmnls41x8jrAAAJ1DGteSwi0AFMysEbnonAV03AAQAAAAFAAAAAK0RGj8AAAMlAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABJQNQAAAAA=