From: blind-computing-boun...@jaws-users.com
[mailto:blind-computing-boun...@jaws-users.com] On Behalf Of First CRC Tom Vos
Sent: Wednesday, November 04, 2009 12:42 PM
To: blind-computing@jaws-users.com
Cc: blind-computing@jaws-users.com
Subject: [Blind-Computing] RE Accessibility of various electronic books

Rick,
You could add rtf to your list.
At Optasia Ministry we put all our books in rtf format so that they can
be read on a variety of computers and with a variety of programs.  RTF
preserves more formatting than txt.

Note that the so called, empty, pdf documents can sometimes be scanned
For example, I use Open Book, whihch has that option built into it.
Blessings,
Tom

> Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 08:41:40 -0800
> From: Rick Watson <rwat...@eckeranch.com>
> Subject: [Blind-Computing] accessibility of various electronic book
>         formats
> To: "blind-computing@jaws-users.com"
> <blind-computing@jaws-users.com>
>
> Good morning listers,
> Along with my earlier question about epub I would also like to throw
> this topic out for discussion...
> I have been asked by an admissions director how I access various
> texts. As I am considering taking some various masters level courses
> I would like to present a complete picture.
> Obviously I can receive books from rfb&d as well as pdf(provided
> that text exists in the file) and text files. html files. and word
> docs.
> I can of course scan the books with ocr packages.
> I have already used these formats.
>
> what other technologies have others used and found to be
> successful?
>
> thanks
> rick

Online Medical Insurance
Get free online medical insurance quotes and save more money today.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=-K7z_z2LSUnmnls41x8jrAAAJ1DGteSwi0AFMysEbnonAV03AAQAAAAFAAAAAK0RGj8AAAMlAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABJQNQAAAAA=