David, here is some more on how a user can assign delegation and set
permissions using Outlook. Of course this does not hint on how I can
compose a message on behalf of someone else using JFW, but this is to
answer your assertion that delegation should not be assigned remotely.
Hth
Frank Ventura
Just as an assistant can help you manage your paper mail, your assistant
can use Outlook to act on your behalf: receiving and responding to
e-mail, meeting requests, and meeting responses. You can also grant
additional permissions that allow your delegate to read, create, or have
full control over items in your mailbox.

If all you want is for someone to be able to see what"s in one or more
of your folders (your Inbox, your Calendar, etc.), just use Folder
Sharing with permission set to reviewer. For this situation we recommend
that you do not use Delegate Access.

As the person granting permission, you determine the level of access
that your delegate has to your folders: reviewer (read-only) through
full rights to read, create, change, and delete items.

If you use the default values, your delegate will

*Have full access (view, create, edit, delete) to your Calendar and
Tasks folders.
*Receive your meeting requests, and responses to meeting requests you
have sent. Your delegate will not see any other messages sent to you.
*Be able to respond meeting requests on your behalf.
*Have "Send on Behalf" permission, which means your delegate can compose
and send meeting invitations that, when received, will say they come
from "Bob Assistant on behalf of Judy Manager" (with real names, of
course).
In these examples we'll refer to the manager (as the person who is
sharing their data) and the delegate (as the person who has been given
access to the manager's data), but your situation may involve people in
a variety of roles.
If you want to allow the delegate to see all of the messages in your
Inbox, or be able to send messages other than meeting invitations on
your behalf, you must grant additional permissions.

If you grant someone access to your folders, that person has access to
all items in the folders except those marked private. Items in
sub-folders are not available to the delegate unless you change the
sharing permissions on each sub-folder. New sub-folders (created after
the Delegate Access was established) inherit the folder access
permissions of the parent folder.

Grant Delegate Access
1.Select Options from the Tools menu.
2.Click the Delegates tab, and then click Add.
3.Select the name of the person whom you want to designate as your
delegate, or search for and select the name in the search results list.
4.Click Add, then click OK.

5.In the Delegate Permissions dialog box, you can accept the default
permission settings or select custom access levels for Exchange folders.
If all your delegate needs is to work with your calendar and meeting
requests and responses, the default permission settings are appropriate.
If you want to customize your delegate"s access, you'll choose from
these access levels:
*Reviewer - the delegate can read items in the manager's folder.
*Author - the delegate can read and create items, and modify and delete
items that he or she creates. For example, a delegate can create task
requests and meeting requests directly in the manager's Calendar folder
and then send the item on the manager's behalf. The delegate cannot
modify or delete something the manager created.
*Editor - the delegate can do everything that an Author has permission
to do and can modify and delete the items that the manager created.
6.If you leave access to your Calendar set to Editor, you can choose
whether or not your delegate automatically will be copied on
meeting-related messages, using the checkbox.
7.To notify the delegate of the new permissions, select the
Automatically send a message to delegate summarizing these permissions
checkbox.
8.The Delegate can see my private items checkbox allows your delegate to
see all your private items in all folders where you've granted them any
level of access: Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Tasks, Notes, and Journal
folders. You cannot set access to private items in only one folder.
9.Click OK to close the Delegate Permissions dialog box.
10.If, in step 6 above, you chose to have meeting-related messages sent
to your delegate automatically, in the Options dialog box you'll see
three choices regarding who receives meeting requests and responses
addressed to you.
*The first radio button routes these messages to your delegate, and
sends copies to you
*The second radio button routes these messages directly to your delegate
and you never see them.
Select the option that works best for you, then click OK to close the
Options dialog box.

If you accepted the default access levels in step 5 above, you're done.

If you have granted more access to your Inbox than the default values
(for example, any level of access to your Inbox) in step 5 above, you
must complete an additional series of steps.

1.In the Navigation Pane, click Mail.
2.Right-click on the line Mailbox - Your Name. Please note: not your
Inbox. Mailbox. Really.
3.From the drop-down menu that appears, select Change Sharing
Permissions.

4.On the Permissions tab, click Add.
5.From the list, select your delegate, click Add, then click OK.
6.Back on the Permissions tab of the Outlook Today dialog box, in the
section labeled Other (near the bottom right), put a checkmark next to
Folder visible.
7.Click OK.

Change permissions for your delegate
1.On the Tools menu, select Options, then click the Delegates tab.
2.Click the name of the delegate for whom you want to change
permissions, and then click Permissions.
3.Change the permissions to the desired level of access for any Outlook
folder listed.
4.To send a message to notify the delegate of the changed permissions,
select the Automatically send a message to delegate summarizing these
permissions checkbox.
5.Click OK to close the Delegate Permissions dialog box.
6.Click OK to close the Options dialog box.
Note: If you want copies of meeting requests and responses that you
receive to be sent to a delegate, make sure the delegate is assigned
Editor (can read, create, and modify items) permission to your Calendar
folder, and then select the Delegate receives copies of meeting-related
messages sent to me checkbox.

Remove permissions for your delegate
1.On the Tools menu, select Options, then click the Delegates tab.
2.Click the name of the delegate for whom you want to change
permissions, and then click Remove.
3.Click OK to close the dialog box.

Last updated: December 20, 2007