Greeting all,

My computer restarting by it self since yesterday. In the middle of doing something, it cut me off and do the restart. I am running avast free edition and its updating every 24 hours. However, when I am running Avast, my pc freeze. I am suspecting spyware or a virus has infected my pc that can't be eradicated by Avast.
I used to use Adaware. but, now I can't  find where to download.
Can anyone tell me what I should do?
What type of jaws friendly spyware or antivirus is available to clean the system? Thanks in advance.