Hi All,

I seem to be back to normal now, but I had a problem with JAWS not speaking
when I booted up this morning and I'm wondering if any of the possibilities
I'm thinking of could have been the cause or if I'm totally wrong.

I turned off the computer last night, but didn't baby-sit it to see if it
went through the whole routine without problems.  The case wasn't vibrating
and there were no fan noises etc., so I figure it had totally shut down.  I
booted up and did not sit there while it booted and when I came back
probably half an hour or longer, JAWS wouldn't speak at all and my efforts
to shut down properly failed.  I unplugged the machine and got speech back
when it booted up.

Critical updates are supposed to be installed automatically and I remembered
that MS was supposed to issue a slew, but there was nothing in the sys tray
about updates being ready to install and the whole bunch was listed on the
MS update page when I checked.  I took care of that little chore.

My first possibility for the loss of speech was that the 'puter started the
download and installation process before JAWS loaded, but when I sat through
the boot up, JAWS loaded before Windows.

The second possibility is that I have a paid Carbonite subscription and I
thought maybe the Carbonite backup process was conflicting with the
Microsoft one.

Does anyone know if either of these might have caused the problem?  I'm
running XP Home with SP3 and
JAWS 10.0.1178.

Thank you,

Margaret