standbuy is similar to the suspend feature found in prior versions of windows me, 9x and earlyer. hibernation takes the contents of ram, and stores it on the harddisk usually in a file called hiberfull.sys. this is done before powering off the computer. When the computer is restarted it reloads the content of memory and is restored to the state it was in when hibernation was invoked. Hibernating and later restarting is usually faster than closing down, later starting up, and starting all the programs that were running. Going into hibernation requires no user interaction; shutting down when programs are open either requires programs to be closed properly, or user interaction to force them to close, with possible loss of data.
 this would be quite useful on laptops, netbooks etc
From: "Matt" <mattmull...@suddenlink.net>
Sent: Friday, July 16, 2010 21:43
To: <blind-computing@jaws-users.com>
Subject: Re: [Blind-Computing] What is hibernate and standby?

When should I use either?
----- Original Message ----- From: Wayne Scott
 To: blind-computing@jaws-users.com
 Sent: Friday, July 16, 2010 9:29 PM

 Stand-by or "sleep" depending on your Windows Operationg System just lets
 the computer rest.  Applications are still open.

 Hibernate lets everything rest.  It has more to do with the hard drive.
 That is what I have been told.  Hope this makes sense.
 "A merry heart does good like medicine, but a broken spirit dries the
 bones."
----- Original Message ----- From: "Matt" <mattmull...@suddenlink.net>