No, it's a real MS-DOS 6 machine, with a KeyNote Gold Voicecard
synthesizer.  I'll be switching over to a custom desktop with Enhanced
DR-DOS once it's built and, hopefully, will be able to put EDRD onto
an IBM Thinkpad 310 to use for practise until my desktop is ready and
for a back-up machine.  I wrote an essay on this list called Why DOS
that you'd probably enjoy as it explains all the reasons why I love
DOS and gives links as to why it's still a viable and usable option
today.  If you can't find it and would like to read it, let me know
and I'll e-mail you offlist.  I wish I could say that VDE was proving
as usable for me.  I'm sure I'll get the hang of it but it's really a
challenge for someone used to WYSIWYG editors like Word Perfect,
NoteWorthy and even the Windows Notepad and Wordpad to try and use
something that has the feel of Word Star.  I can't figure out how to
get it to open and read files and even the installation is strange.
Fortunately, though, the documentation is extensive, so I'll have to
read up on it.  As I said earlier in this post, the Ed.exe program
from WP is acting strangely with VocalEyes so I have no choice but to
either try JAWS for DOS or ASAP with it or to try another editor.  WP
5.1 works fine but doesn't save as .txt and I need that for my batch
programming.  Hopefully, things will be easier on the IBM and desktop,
since I can then use the edit program in Enhanced R-DOS or even the
one in QuickBASIC, which I can't use here, as the KeyNote's keyboard
is made without certain keys.  This is annoying, cause I wanted to
start learning QB as well.  Ah well, batch is enough for now I guess.