Thank you.  I'm making some progress, but am still confused and I may not
have explained my problem clearly enough.

The instructions I have from the Access Technology Institute textbook seem
to differ from yours.  The ones I have to access the quick access toolbar
are to press ALT, arrow up once.  Then to right or left arrow to navigate
among the choices.  It goes on to say that save is 1, undo is 2 and redo
last action is 3.  JAWS is not speaking any of these numbers and the only
way I've found so far to hear JAWS speak the shortcut keys is to route JAWS
to PC when focus is placed on the item in the quick access toolbar.  I
discovered that paste special has a shortcut of Control-Alt-V which is
helpful and will save me from going into the quick access toolbar if I can
remember it, but I want to be comfortable with the feature.

When I'm in the Quick Access Toolbar, from what the textbook says, I'm
expecting to hear JAWS say something like  "1 Save" "2 Undo" 3 redo last
action" when I left or right arrow among the default options and the only
indication I found so far about what number goes with which action is from
the text book.  Do I have to configure anything in JAWS to hear them or are
the numbers only heard after customizing the quick access toolbar?  ALT plus
1 works to save, so the numbers associated with the items are there-I'm just
not hearing them.

Isn't JAWS supposed to say something like "Paste Special Control-Alt-V" when
focus is on the item in the quick access toolbar?

Thank you,

Margaret