So how do you check to insure that your network is using incription?
And what if you're away and wish to use a freely available network?
For example, I use one e-mail for almost all things but another for
financial/legal matters.  If I use my regular e-mail and stay away
from shopping sites and ones that use my legal name, is it safe for me
to browse the net via an unsecured network or can they actually hack
into my computer itself?

Thanks,
Eleni