My Dell laptop is about 5 years old.
Recently we have been getting the error message that we have the wrong AC
adapter plugged in.
However, it is the same adapter that came with the machine.
And it is apparent that it is feeding power to the computer, because the
screen is much brighter when it is plugged in.
Could this simply be a sign that the battery is weak?
The computer  does  not last very long off the AC adapter, and sometimes
won't boot up at all if it is disconnected from the adapter.
Any thoughts you have would be welcome.
Blessings,
Tom