Mike,

Different versions of Windows may have different versions of DOS and
therefore different DOS commands.

All of the following commands should be executed at any DOS prompt.

Incidently, if your JFW punctuation settings don't read all punctuation, you
might miss some important symbols in the following list.

Ordinarily, to go directly to the root directory of the current drive, type

cd\ and press ENTER.

Ordinarily, to change from one drive to another, type

D: and press ENTER.
(Substitute my D for the appropriate drive designator.)

To get a listing of the DOS commands that are specific to your version of
Windows, type

help and press ENTER.

To get more detailed info about individual DOS commands, type

help commandName and press ENTER, or

commandName /? and press ENTER.
(Substitute the name of any legitimate DOS command in place of my
commandName.)

To get the results of these queries stored within a text file for future
reference, use the following additional instruction with each.

> fileName.txt

as demonstrated in the following example.

help > DOSHelp.txt and press ENTER.

You might want to use the name of the DOS command as the name of the text
file when/if storing the details of a single DOS command.  Why?  Because,
the file will contain only that which would have been displayed on screen
which does not include the name of the command being described since you
have already typed it.

hth

Bob