David and others,

I have a blue snowball microphone here from Blue Microphones and it's decent. It has three different pickup patterns: cardioid, cardioid with a 10 decibel pad, and an omnidirectional pattern. It's a bit more expensive - somewhere around $100, but it's definitely better than some other mics. Basically it's good for a low to mid budget microphone solution. It connects via USB. Hope this helps.

On 6/12/2012 10:40 AM, David Ferrin wrote:
I use a plantronics for most of my audio tutorials although some times I
select my USB headset but not too often.
David Ferrin
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones
that mind don't matter.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephan, William S NWK"<william.s.step...@usace.army.mil>
To:<blind-computing@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 10:35 AM
Subject: Re: [Blind-Computing] Recommendation for a microphone
(UNCLASSIFIED)

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Lenny:  When I make voice recordings in Goldwave, I generally use a headset
with a microphone like you'd use with a computer communications application
like Skype.  These are pretty inexpensive, sometimes you can find them for
under $5.  I'm sure the quality isn't as good as what you'd get from an
expensive mic, but if that's not an issue for you, this might be an
alternative.  Marlyn P. Jones and Associates has had these for cheap in the
past, thogh it looks like they're temporarily out of stock at the moment.
There website is:
www.mpja.com
and there is a link for head sets off their main page.Good luck.