From: Blind-Computing [mailto:blind-computing-boun...@jaws-users.com] On
Behalf Of Eleni Vamvakari
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2013 2:21 PM
To: blind-computing@jaws-users.com
Subject: [Blind-Computing] Problems with Ebay and Facebook

Over the past several months, I've been having major problems with Ebay.
I've noticed that the combo boxes for sorting items, as well as the edit
boxes for choosing price, and the regular links for things like buy it now,
the various categories, location, etc. have all become inaccessible.  They
now look like a combination of links and check boxes, which do nothing when
I click on them.  I've tried both Firefox, which is my main browser, and
Internet Explorer.  Sometimes, they work properly, but now, neither one is
working, and these problems appear on both browsers, where previously, I was
able to use IE for the purpose.  Firefox also started acting normally, a few
days ago, but has now resumed this strange look.  The ad-ons manager in
Firefox has also become inaccessible.

I also have to use the mobile version of Facebook with both browsers, since
it's very difficult to use the main site on Firefox and virtually impossible
with IE.  When I get e-mails of notifications from Facebook, they all use
the www. version of pages.  But I can't get to the address with IE, as I can
with Firefox, in order to edit it to m. so that I can view things on the
mobile site.  I also can't update IE, because I'm using Windows XP, and 7 is
the last version that will work with my os! So basically, I'm left with only
a few options.
1. Change to a version of Windows which I have no idea how to use, and no
desire to learn, one which is far more complicated than what I already have.
2. Buy another Mac (which is ridiculously expensive) so that I can upgrade
to Mountain Lion, or buy more memory for my Macbook so I can upgrade to
Lion. Both have better navigational features than Snow Leopard, but I'm not
a huge fan of the Mac.  Please do not suggest to me that I buy an iOS
device.  I don't like touch screens and the like, nor do I wish to change to
Linux.
3. Continue using Firefox and uninstall/reinstall it every time Ebay starts
acting up, hoping that will fix the problem (it didn't today), or I don't
like an add-on and need to delete it, or do a system restore each time.
4. Wait for my MS-DOS 7.10 machine, which should be coming soon.  I've heard
that these sites are accessible with DOS browsers.

For the record, I use NVDA as my screenreader.  Has anyone else experienced
these problems?  If so, what solutions have you found?
This is really upsetting me!  What's worse is that both Ebay and Facebook
have wonderfully accessible mobile pages, but they don't have many of the
basic features of their main sites.

Thanks,
Eleni