Interesting topic. since I got my HTC Vive a few months ago I've been
thinking a lot about how virtual reality would work for the visually
impaired. I've been thinking about it in terms of applications for games
and just general computer use. High quality 3D audio productions are very
immersive. Add on top of that immersion head tracking and you've got a
powerful combination for virtual reality. Right now virtual reality is
looking for a wireless solution. But if you were to create an application
for VR that just use audio you could easily do it wirelessly as no graphics
data needs to be transmitted. I've started experimenting building web VR
applications for the visually impaired. It's a slow going process as a
technology is still very new. If you haven't yet been exposed to high
quality 3D audio productions check out "the owl field"