I don't have a problem with the game freezing, never had that happen here.

As far as commercial complexes, you can use them anytime you want.

There's no restriction on their use.

Just choose how long you want them to operate, and you're off and running.

Use them whenever you need a boost in your cash flow, or just activate them in long term mode when you're going to be away for a while, then you'll come back to lots more money than you'd otherwise have.

Play the game anyway you like, there's no wrong way to do it.