There aren't many muds with sound packs, mostly because nobody has taken the time to create one.

If you're working on strictly soundpack muds, alter aeon is your best bet.

If you want something with lots of newbie helpers, and one that has lots and lots to do, then try 3k.org.  It also has a sister mud at 3scapes.org if you like the one, you'll probably like the other one, since they share many of the same features.

I also log into ancient anguish from time to time, just because it's been around since the 90s, and I used to play on it back then, so I still pop in every now and then just to see what's going on. Occasionally I'll play for a few months, then bow out again for months to years at a time, but I do tend to drop by again afterwords just to see what changed.

If you're looking for a huge gaming area, and loads and loads of races to choose from, then lostsouls.org is probably the one you want, though I stopped playing there years ago when they expanded the mud to something like three times it's original size, and their navigation went out the window.  It's probably considerably easier for someone who never played under the old system, but I quit playing when I couldn't find anything anymore, and discovered that their expansion didn't account for things like roads that just ended in the middle of nowhere, and then you'd find little settlements scattered all over the plains with absolutely markings to help find your way back to it.

Which, honestly, was a real shame, because I'd played on that mud for nearly 20 years before leaving that one after those impossible (for me) changes.  It's still a great mud, I just can't handle it anymore.