Warehouses can have 4 incoming feeds, and also can have 4 outgoing feeds.  Factories can have 2 incoming feeds, but only 1 outgoing feed. The robotic center is the same way.  The galactic trade center has only 4 incoming feeds, so if you're looking to fill one up, you'll need to swap around your incoming feeds, since there are considerably more than 4 products that can be stored in them.  Obviously, production buildings (hydroponics, ore processors, gas extractors and the like), can have only 1 outgoing feed, but interestingly enough, they can have incoming feeds as well, though I haven't a clue why that's built that way, must be just an artifact of the code used to build them I'd guess, since there's no need to feed such buildings themselves.  Now, if you could use warehouses like an assembly line, (I.E. ore processor 1 feeds warehouse 1, and warehouse 1 feeds warehouse 5, because ore extractor is too far from warehouse 5, but warehouse1 can reach it, that would make our lives a whole lot easier.  Unfortunately, that's not an option though.  You can also feed extracted elements to living quarters, (again, no clue why, it's not like they can use them), so apparently, there's a bit of code reuse going on, even where it doesn't make sense to do so.

But, even with all that confusion, the game is still generally playable.  The real thing we're missing is a way to tell how far away something is from something else, that would solve a lot of logistics problems.  I have noticed though, that when you tap connect on a building, it does place the possible connection points in order by how far away the other buildings are.  This makes for some interesting speculation, because sometimes buildings I would be sure are out of range show up on the list, and sometimes, they're way closer than buildings that are only one or two squares away according to voiceover, so do keep that in mind, it may help you design your layouts better if you can get ahandle on that kind of information.

There's been times I tore down the whole set of connections I had, and redistributed them based on how close buildings were to one another, even though voiceover claims they're many many squares away, and it allows me to keep the lines moving better that way.

Also, if you can, you want to accumulate 100 energy cells, then find yourself a space station, and buy the second grade of ship. That allows you to colonize two planets at a time, so you have something to do while waiting for a planet to build things after you've got it's infrastructure all setup.  There's a level requirement for buying that second spaceship, but I don't remember what it is, level 10 or 20, not sure which, but I didn't know about it until I was almost to level 30, so there's that.