From: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Ralph Supernaw
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2006 2:12 PM
To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BlindHandyMan] Finishing a Cutting Board

Hi,

I have made a cutting board but am having some problems finishing it.
According to the posted instructions in the Blind Handyman files section,
Salad Bowl Finish is to be used to finish the board.

I have tried a couple hardware stores and not found anything called "Salad
Bowl Finish."  Both have some stuff that says it is for sealing and treating
cutting boards, butcher blocks, etc.

I put on two pretty generous coats.  When I washed the cutting board the
grain popped right up.

Do I need to take more time and put on more coats of the oil?

Or, is this what is to be expected when making a cutting board out of cherry
instead of maple?

Or, do I need to find something different to use as a finish?

Thanks,
Ralph

To listen to the show archives go to link  http://acbradio.org/handyman.html
or ftp://ftp.acbradio.org/acbradio-archives/handyman/

Visit The New Blind Handy Man Files Page To Review Contributions From
Various List Members At The Following Address:

Visit The New Blind Handy Man Files Page To Review Contributions From Various
List Members At The Following Address: