You certainly can cut it with a table saw and probably about as accurately
as you would be able to do with a circular saw unless you made a very good
jig.

A small table complicates the task particularly if you are cutting only a
short piece off, the closer to the middle you are cutting the easier it will
be to balance the board on the table.

The other issue is the miter gauge. Even professional wood workers don't
like to cross cut anything but short pieces with the miter gauge usually
supplied even with very good table saws. There are very expensive and
sophisticated accessory miter gauges and for wider stock most will build a
panel cutter which is a fairly large sheet of plywood fitted to a guide that
fits into the miter slot on the table saw and which has a fence along the
rear edge to hold the panel and carry it through the saw.

If you can attach a suitable straight piece of wood to the miter gauge
across it's face so as to lengthen it, you will find it will support your
board better.

It just struck me that maybe I should explain that the miter gauge is that
device which fits into the slot on the table top. It has a raised piece that
can be adjusted usually through 45 or more degrees to either side.

You should not use the rip fence to set size because the board you are
cutting off can and usually will get jammed between the fence and the blade
and will quite likely come flying back at you, usually striking at high
speed some place between belly button and knees if you follow.

This is not entirely true of course, the correct way if you were say cutting
several 16 inch lengths and want them all equal is to clamp a stick to the
fence leaving 16 inches from the blade edge of the stick to the blade  but
clamping the stick back along the fence far enough that as you push the
board through the trailing edge passes the end of the stick before the
leading edge contacts the blade. In this way there is always going to be
some space, the thickness of the stick between the end of the board you are
cutting off and the fence allowing the cut-off somewhere to go if it needs
to.

Ok, Once you figure and measure the length to be cut off you hold your board
against the fence on the miter gauge, usually in the slot on the left of the
blade and extend it out beyond the blade to the right of the blade the
distance you intend to cut off. You will probably want to slide the rip
fence right off of the saw table depending on how much you are cutting off.
Once the amount you intend to cut off is beyond the blade to the right you
back it off a touch holding the board firmly to the miter gauge, turn on the
saw then gently slide the board into the blade until you pass right through.

A long board will give you some trouble, helps to have something to hold
that long left free end up.

This is not so easy to do and you must take care not to grab for anything
should it get away from you, another board can always be had but replacement
fingers are not so readily available.

I have cut many many boards just like this over time. Because the miter
gauge is short and the board is heavy it is not easily done and absolute
accuracy is difficult to insure but for most of us it is still more accurate
than working with a hand saw unless it is very sharp and mounted in a good
miter frame or box.

You need to make sure that the miter gauge is set and the adjustment knob
snug. For 90, if you don't have a positive stop, turning the gauge over and
running it in upside down until it comes into contact with the edge of the
table can be a good way to set it depending on the design of the table. You
may also use the corner of the table as a pretty good guide to set it
square.

Hope this is helpful.

Dale Leavens, Cochrane Ontario Canada
[EMAIL PROTECTED]