In spite of what you may have been told or understand, sewer gas is rarely
dangerous. Occasionally some twit dumps something nasty including gasoline,
several years ago a railroad car dribbled gasoline into the storm sewers of
Timmins near here which eventually produced somewhat spectacular explosions
and fountains of flames out of the man hole and grills in the streets and
roads. That notwithstanding, the gas can be unpleasant.

That though isn't a major concern, blocking the drain is probably more
worrying. You probably do have a bird, I think I would be inclined to try to
flush him on through, there isn't any reasonable way you are likely to
rescue him anyway unless maybe by removing the toilet and perhaps dragging
it out with your hand well gloved and assuming your hand will fit. Mine just
barely fits into the standard three inch sewer pipe and I am a small man. He
will bite you if he can so you will want a substantial glove, I doubt your
elbow will make it around the various bends and so on.

There may be a cleaning eye near where the critter is but how likely is
that.

If the creature isn't dying of sewer gas, neither will you.

Dale Leavens, Cochrane Ontario Canada
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Skype DaleLeavens