Hi Larry,

First I hope that the joists under the porch floor are closer than 4 foot
centres. If 2 by 8 they should be closer to 12 inch centres, otherwise the
floor will be way too light, even on 16 inch centres it will bounce on 2 by
8 joists.

Except for maybe marine grade plywood or really good quality pressure
treated, plywood is not a good choice of material for outdoor use  and
particularly under carpet, it will go soft, the glue between the laminations
will separate and very soon even the new decking will come apart. Plank will
also rot quite quickly unless pressure treated, maybe the new composite
plastic engineered decking would work better. Just my advice for that part
of the job although you weren't really asking for it.

There are many ways to design stairs, Rae posted something not long ago
which will be up on the files page probably but there are easier ways for
your purposes.

IT would help to know how high and how many stairs you want. There is a sort
of magic number, I seem to remember it to be 17. This is the overall total
rise & run. It means that a 10 inch tread should have a 7 inch rise, a 12
inch run about a 5 inch rise and so on for a most natural stride. mine here
are three feet by 6 inches but for very different reasons and we all know
how unnatural it can be on some oddly made steps.

The way sighted people do it is to decide on rise and run and use a framing
square to draw that out on the stringers using the rulers on the square. I
don't find that to be so practical as a blind person.

Another determinant will be just how wide are those stairs going to be. If
three feet or less and you are using 2  by stock then one way I like to make
them is to cut a shallow dado maybe half an inch or a little less in the
stringer to accept the end of the step. You then can set your run by laying
that out on the bottom of the stringer where it will set on the ground. Use
your square and set one edge at the front of the stringer at the front
corner, raise the rear corner until you can measure the length of the run
along the square with the corner at the rear edge of the stringer.

Use a sliding bevel to capture that angle and set it on your mitre saw or
line up a guide you can cut along with your circular saw.

You now also have your rise on the opposite arm of your square which you can
capture the angle from using the sliding bevel and this will also allow you
to measure that rise.

Some mitre saws have a depth adjustment, mine does not, but which will allow
you to cut a fixed depth. Once you have that bottom angle it will be the
same one as you need for each stair tread. You may wish to determine the
rise by dividing the height from the ground to the porch deck by a number as
close to 7 inches as you can get or you may wish to divide the distance by
something like 7 or close and halve the remainder so you have a small first
and last step or you may keep a small remainder to be the height of the very
bottom step. Any way you go, you are using the top of one step to the top of
the next as your rise distance.

I like to take a piece of scrap, cut it on the angle for the tread then
clamp it to the stringer and with my circular saw set to half an inch depth
or so make two parallel cuts, one at the height of the top of the tread, a
second down the thickness of the tread then a few random cuts between and
with a chisel just knock out the wood between. These days I am likely to use
a router with a three quarter inch or bigger bit to plow out the dado.

For outdoor use I like to use 2 by 4 treads with a small space between them.
Less likely to cup and the space allows more rapid shedding of water and
less ice.

If this is a little too challenging just now then rather than cutting dados
just cut spacers the same angle then nail them to the inside of the
stringers and set the treads on them, well between them really. For reasons
of rigidity you might even cut the front of the spacers at the rise angle or
even undercut that angle a little for more toe space and the thickness of a
riser.This will stiffen up the steps and depending on the width this may be
desirable.

If the steps are to be the full 8 foot width you will need intermediate
stringers. Actually I would consider building the steps if that wide as a
series of stages.

You may want to consider forming a triangle with a base from the bottom of
the stringer to a post coming down from the top of the stringer so the steps
are actually fully supported on the ground and then just attached to the
frame of the porch to keep them in place rather than for supporting them.

By not cutting actual step shapes in the stringers you have a much stronger
structure.

Hope this gives you a few ideas.

Dale Leavens, Cochrane Ontario Canada
[EMAIL PROTECTED]