Robert,

Yeah, nice idea about just stringing a few pieces together.  Sadly, I am
too smart for my own good.  In an effort to avoid any kind of finishing, I
purchased trim boards that exactly match the stain and wood of the hard
wood floor.  awfully nice of the flooring manufacturers to make it so
easy.  However, it doesn't allow for covering up screw-ups with paint.
*GRIN*

I will say that my mitered corners are damn sweet.  Unfortunately, they
just don't reach all the way across.  *GRIN*

Actually, one of the sliding bevel jobs I got from Lee Valley was
amazingly useful.  It has two rectangles, pivoted in the middle.  You
push
it into, or around, a corner and that gives you the exact template of the
corner.  But even cooler is that there is a little fin in the middle, on
top of the rectangles, that is geared to the rectangles and bisects the
angle for you.  Just line up one of the legs, to your saw fence, and the
saw blade to the fin, and you will cut the perfect mitre.

the only problem with my miters is that the ends touch perfectly, but
there is a hairline gap in the middle of the mitre.  I believe what is
happening is that the outer edges of the T board are thin, and the middle
is thick.  Possibly the saw blade since it has to work harder to pass
through the thicker part of the board, it leaves a slightly wider kerf.
Not sure that is reasonable, but I'm sticking with it.

--
Blue skies.
Dan Rossi