chears for your help dale
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Dale Leavens
  To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 3:26 PM
  Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] sharpening tools

  Probably the very best way is with a pond of variously graded water stones
  and a couple of hones, fine oil stones and maybe a diamond hone. As you gain
  skill you may want one or mor of those bevel jigs to guide the blade while
  grinding and later honing a very fine edge.

  There is the Scary system (spelling uncertain) which uses sand paper stuck
  to very flat surfaces like plate glass, this is pretty cheap and can grind a
  well formed edge.

  Finally I am very impressed with what I have seen in the new generation of
  slow speed wet grinders. Tormek was probably the first and remains the most
  expensive but now Delta and Jet have similar units quite a bit cheaper and
  arguably as good and maybe better. These have a 2 inch wide grinding wheel
  which turns relatively slowly in a bath of water and which can be finished
  to grind quite aggressively or finished for a much finer grind and on the
  other side is a leather wheel which is used with honing compound for a
  really rather wonderful finish. There is quite a bit of learning with these
  too, a number of jigs and fixtures for holding various blades from chisels
  to plane blades or jointer knives and even specially shaped turning chisels.

  A collection of decent stones gets pretty expensive and so does the Tormek,
  even the Jet is about three hundred dollars US for the basic unit and so far
  I haven't found a Canadian supplier for it.

  Lee Valley has quite a collection of water stones, probably not the cheapest
  place to buy but the quality is high, you will have good suppliers up in
  Newcastle, a specialty shop I am sure and probably not all that cheap. The
  methods using sand paper are cheap and apparently quite efficient but both
  are hand grinding and will take some patience if you have to remove any
  amount of steel for removing any nicks.

  The high speed grinders not only spray sparks which pose a fire hazard
  particularly for the blind although of the fires I am aware of, none were
  caused by a blind person, the heat can easily destroy the temper and soften
  the tool steel. you need to quench frequently and that makes relocating the
  tool on the rest a bit more challenging.

  I can look for more information on the "scary" system, I know that Larry is
  familiar with it and of course we have Rae who is becoming expert in the
  research department, maybe there already is something up there on the Site
  on it I haven't been there for a while.

  Hope this helps.

  Dale Leavens, Cochrane Ontario Canada
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]