Hi Jennifer,

Is the backyard landscaped?

Is part of it landscaped and the other part not.  If this is the case, I'm
wondering if getting that other part done would help matters at all.

My other suggestion would have been as others have suggested, checking for
pools of water that may be collecting, and getting a roost for animals that
enjoy feeding on mosquitoes, but I don't think bats would be my first
choice, as you may get the wrong kind, and they may choose to roost in your
soffets and other crevices.  They aren't best friends with guide dogs
either, so you may want to think about that.

Victor Gouveia