I've had a Cobalt talking tape measure for several years.  It helps me work with
my buddies - they can be up on the roof and call out measurements - i can cut
them whatever they need and then hand them the wood to nail in.  I am painfully
allergic to hammers so I stay away from that kind of work.

I did drop it the other day from about 15 feet in the rafters of a garage
project and it went haywire.  I took out the battery for about 24 hours,
reinstalled the battery, and all was well.  Might be worth a try for you folks
having troubles with them.  Also, weak batteries seem to cause flakyness.  Might
be time for a new battery, if you're getting flakey results.

I'm sure they must have an algorithm for taking out the error involved as the
radius of the coil gets smaller.  I've never had any trouble with accuracy.

Cheers,
David