Dear Dan:
    In the case of my water source heat pump, we are using water from our
spring, which is discharged in to a creek.  The flow required is six gallons
per minute , so the creek is not noticeably altered.  I suppose if a large
number of folks did the same, the temperature of the creek might fall a bit,
but we are not talking about a huge drop in temperature.
    Where wells are used to both pick up and discharge the water, I doubt that
the ground water would be cooled in winter to a significant degree, as the
earth is quite a large heat sink.
    I suppose we could all go back in to caves, but if the country's population
all went to caves, our presence under ground would no doubt heat up the earth's
crust?

                Yours Truly,

                Clifford Wilson