  From: Max Robinson
  To: Blind Handyman
  Sent: Monday, October 22, 2007 4:06 PM
  Subject: [BlindHandyMan] Putting the ruler back into your combination square.

  A combination square, which my dad called a try square, is very useful
  around the shop especially for a blind worker. It is as every bit as
  effective for transferring distances as a click ruler or a rotomatic. The
  one I have had for many years was a little off square so I went to buy a new
  one. I found that they come in ruler lengths of 6, 12, and 18 inches. I
  left the store with all three. It has two parts, a thin metal ruler, and a
  casting which has two machined surfaces, one at 90 degrees and the other at
  45 degrees to the ruler. The casting part also contains a bubble level and
  a sharply pointed scribe is also stored in a hole. Neither of these is
  likely to be very useful to a totally blind person but they are there
  anyway. Although the lines were apparently etched into the surface of the
  ruler, it would take some pretty sensitive fingers to read it by feel. You
  could always get the exact measurement from one of the afore mentioned
  rulers and use the square to transfer the distance to the work. OK, now
  that you are convinced that you need a combination square you can get out
  the one that you have had for years and start using it. When you loosen a
  knurled nut that is in a cutout in the casting the ruler can be slid back
  and forth. It can also be pulled or fall completely out. That is what this
  message is about, how to put it back in. It's a piece of cake for a sighted
  person but only a little more difficult for a blind one. The first step
  is to remove the knurled nut. When you turn it the screw just turns inside
  the casting and it never unscrews.

  1. Stick the ruler into the slot it came out of and up against the screw.
  You don't need to use a lot of force, just enough to keep the screw from
  turning.

  Do the next step over a clean workbench or table.

  2. loosen and remove the nut. There is a spring under it so be sure to
  capture it so you don't lose it. Place the spring and nut in a shallow dish
  to keep them from rolling away.

  3. Remove the ruler from the slot and hold your hand under the casting
  while turning it so the slot is down. The screw will slide out into your
  hand, or fall on the floor if Murphy has anything to say about it.

  4. Examine the screw. You will see how it holds the ruler in place.

  5. Place the foot of the screw in the slot in the ruler so the screw is at
  right angles to the ruler.

  6. Holding the screw and ruler, slide the ruler into the slot on the side
  of the casting so the screw goes into the hole where the slot gets wider.

  7. Push the ruler all the way into the slot and the threaded end of the
  screw should protrude from the place it came from.

  8. Place the spring over the end of the screw and then thread the knurled
  nut onto it. Snug it down so the ruler won't fall out again.

  That's all there is to it handy boys and handy girls. I've already posted
  the instructions for using one of these squares to set a miter gauge to
  exactly 90 degrees. I also use it to set the distance between the saw blade
  and rip fence, and to set the position of a piece of wood for cross cutting
  with the miter gauge. The uses are limited only by your imagination.

  Regards.

  Max. K 4 O D S.

  Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  Transistor site http://www.funwithtransistors.net