  From: Tom Fowle
  To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
  Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 7:12 PM
  Subject: [BlindHandyMan] VoxTape talking tape measure manual

  Hi all,
  I don't think anybody has previously posted the manual for this tape
  Voxtape from Caretec.
  This is the slightly more expensive one that uses a single AA battery.
  It has some advantages over the Cobolt, but appears to use the same sprockett
  technology to read the tape.
  Note they say you should use the spring loaded rewind system to avoid
  errors, I often find unless the tape has been allowed to rewind solidly into
  the case that it's a sixteenth off. some differences are;

  has on/off button;
  Current measurement can be set to zero so that moving the tape
  gets you the difference between last and current measure.
  has seperate buttons for measuring with and without case, not a toggle.

  The speech sounds very much like the Cobolt unit but of much lower quality.
  This was probably done to save power thus allowing the use of the AA cell.

  A good giggle is to be had as they say there is a 1 year
  warranty on the speech output.
  We assume this means no warranty on the tape!

  Neither of these tapes has what I want, an ability to enter a measurement
  and then "find" it.

  Find below, in the message body, a text rendering of the print manual.
  which is apparrently the only thing they provide on a single sheet of paper.

  It scanned very poorly and took my assistant David a lot of proofing.

  I don't know which I would buy if I wanted one, neither of them makes me
  really happy.
  Tom

  CARETEC: Stubenbastei 1
  A-1010 Wien (Austria)
  Tel: (00431) 513 80 81-0; Fax:-9
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] www.caretec.at

  USER'S MANUAL
  VOX-Tape - talking tape measure

  Description of the device
  Put the device in front of you so that the front side with the keys is
  facing you. On this side of the device you will find two rows with 5 keys
  (two in the upper row and three in the lower row). On the bottom side of
  the device you will find the ribbed lid of the battery compartment and on
  the reverse of the case a clip for attaching it to your belt. On the left
  side of the case you will find the tape end, which can easily be accessed
  and pulled forward. On the upper, round end of the device (inclined towards
  the right), you will find a ribbed button to retract the tape. It should
  always be retracted this way, otherwise it may lead to inaccurate
  measurements.

  CAUTION:
  If the tape is extended more then 1 foot (30 cm), take care when retracting
  the tape to avoid injuries to your hand. Right behind this retraction
  button, you will feel some small holes, housing the outlet of the
  loudspeaker. Please do not cover them or it may lead to a bad speech
  output.

  Description of the keys
  Upper row
  Right key: Press once: turn the tape on / measurement
  Hold: turn the tape off
  Left key: Press once: measurement with case
  Hold: metric or imperia1 system

  Lower row
  Right key: Press once: add value to memory
  hold: change volume
  Middle key: Press once: retain current value
  hold: set to zero or standard measurement
  Left key: press once: recall total value in memory
  hold: delete memory

  How to start
  Pull the lid of the battery compartment to the right and open it. Put one
  1.5 V battery in the compartment, with the smooth side negative of the
  battery to go in first. Close the lid of the compartment until it locks in
  place, a signal tells you that your VOX-Tape is ready for measuring.

  Turn the tape off
  The VOX-Tape will automatically shut off after 90 seconds. If you want to
  turn it off before that, just keep the right button of the upper row
  pressed for at least 2 seconds. Release the button after you hear the
  second beep. You will then hear a signal telling you, the tape has been
  switched off.

  Measurement
  Press the upper right key to switch the tape on. You will hear a signal,
  showing you that the tape is ready for measuring. If the tape was not
  retracted properly, VOX-Tape will announce “error - tape is not in the
  case”. Press the ribbed button on the upper round side of the tape until
  the tape is totally retracted and try the whole procedure again.
  1. press the upper right key and a short beep will tell you that the
  tape is ready for measuring
  2. pull the tape end forward as far as required
  3. press the upper right key again and the tape will announce the exact
  length
  Measurements with the case
  Sometimes you will need to carry out measurements including the case of the
  tape measure (e.g. within door-frames or inside closets), VOX-Tape offers
  you the possibility to do so at the press of a button. Take a measurement
  as mentioned above. If you want to know the value with the case, just press
  the upper left button instead and the tape will announce the value measured
  "with case”. If you want to hear the same measurement without case, press
  the upper right button (as you would at an ordinary measurement),

  Metric/Imperial system
  With VOX-Tape you can take readings according to the metric or the imperial
  system. Press the left key of the upper row for at least 2 seconds and you
  can change between "metric system" and "imperial system".

  Retain current value/standard measurement
  VOX-Tape enables you to retain a value independently from the standard
  memory function. After the tape announces your measurement result, you can
  retain this value by pressing the lower middle key. The tape announces
  “current value retained”. Now you can retract the tape and still recall
  this last value by pressing the upper right key. To delete this value,
  press the lower middle key again and you will hear the announcement
  "current value released". Now you are able to carry out normal measurements
  again.

  Reset to zero / standard measurement
  After you have taken a measurement, press the lower middle key until you
  hear the second beep sound. Release the key and VOX-Tape will announce
  “reset to zero”. At your next measurement, the tape will only announce the
  difference between these two values. This function enables you to compare
  different measurements more easily. To leave this function, press the lower
  midd1e key until you hear the second "beep", release the key and the tape
  will announce “standard measurement”.

  Memory
  VOX-Tape also possesses a memory function. Measurements can be added to
  memory to enable total measurements up to 37.3 miles (equals 60 km). Carry
  out a measurement as described above. If you want to add this value to the
  memory of the tape, press the lower right key and the tape will announce
  “added to memory”.

  Recall memory
  You can recall the content of the memory at the press of a button. Press
  the lower left key and the tape will announce the total value in the memory
  (“total value in memory is”). If so far no value has been added to memory,
  the tape will announce "memory clear".

  Delete memory
  To delete all the values in the memory, hold the lower left key until you
  hear the second beep sound. Release the key and the tape will announce
  “memory deleted”.

  Technical data / Warranty

  |Dimensions |3 3/4 x 2 5/8 x 1 5/8 inches / 84 |
  | |ounces incl. battery |
  |Measuring units |metric and imperial system |
  |Measuring accuracy |resolution of 1/16 inches |
  |Measuring length |16 feet |
  |Power supply |1 x AA Mignon Battery (1.5V) |
  |Warranty |1 year on the speech output |

  CARETEC GmbH
  Stubenbastei 1
  A -1010 Wien, Osterreich
  Tel: (+431) 5138081-0