From: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Dale Leavens
Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2008 5:26 PM
To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] Wood workers

You certainly can use plywood for a face frame but there are a couple of
caveats.

Joining the rails to the styles cannot be satisfactorily done with pocket
screw joinery since the screws are going into the edge and will likely
separate the laminations forming bulges on the surface and not holding at
all well. You can make saddle type mortise & tenon joints or lap joints or I
would probably use biscuit joints and I have seen people scab a thin plywood
or hardboard patch across the back of the joints.

Another concern will be the hardware. If you are using surface mount hinges
into the face of the face frame there will be no problem but if you intend
to use hardware that fixes into the edge of the face frame you are likely to
run into the same troubles as joining the rails and styles. Remember this
may apply to latches as well.

We have a load of added storage cabinets around the hospital with plywood
face frames many in daily use.

If you plan to keep the oak showing, that is, not paint it you might prefer
to fix the face frames to the cabinet walls with biscuits or dominos or
something other than face nailing even with finish nails so you don't have
them to hide.