Larry there are different size boxes for the outlets.  The standard are
much larger for new construction and compact units for retrofit and close
clearance.  Depending on the construction of your house it could be quite easy
with a little help.  They also could be mounted in the floor if out of walking
areas and nothing would be placed on the cover.  The vacuum exhaust does exit
the house so no air taken in the hose gets returned inside the house.  Any dust
not filtered goes outside with the motor noise.
     If power heads are used, an electrical outlet should be very close to the
vacuum port.  A hose with power wires and a plug will be needed to supply the
power to the head.
     I have had mine now since around 1978.  The piping got blocked one time
with my kids feeding army men into battle.  By checking the different outlets
it was easy to determine approximately the location of the block.  I cut the
elbow open and low and behold the men didn't make the corner in pairs.  I cut a
little extra pipe off and glued a coupling into place.  I have had mine for 30
years now and other than that I got a new 30 foot hose to replace the old 25
footer.