I have done this for years.  In some cases, it was the only way I could get 10
ply tires to seal the bead.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Bob Kennedy
  To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Friday, April 04, 2008 20:54
  Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] Flat tire on riding mower.

  The band in tire shops actually has a valve on the end and lets you inflate
the band to tighten it up.

  When I was running a marina years back there was a tire shop on the other
side of the building. I learned a trick from the guys there that I still use
from time to time.

  This is a take it or leave it tip. I'm not going to debate the issue with
anyone. Take a can of starting fluid, give about a 1 to no more than 2 second
blast into the tire. Then while applying air into the tire valve, take one of
those long stem lighters like you use to light the grill. The fire will ignite
the ether and the small explosion will most definitely seat the bead of the
tire... Now if you get the neck of the lighter inside the bead, you won't have
time to get it out once the ether lights. I mean to tell ya, it seats the bead
with authority. Before anyone writes in and says the tire can catch fire and so
on, just save that thought. There is no supply of oxygen to keep a fire going
inside the tire. If there is, you have a real problem and will need a new tire
anyway.