  From: Lee A. Stone
  To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Monday, April 14, 2008 13:10
  Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] Selecting the right deadbolt

  No, Bob , there is only a standard lockset in the door handle. I am
  considering adding another locking device. when the door comes open
  is always during a hard wind coming in from the West. this is a
  Stanley 9 lite steel door installed maybe around 1986 or 7 with no
  other problems. Lee

  On Sun, Apr 13, 2008
  at 10:48:25PM -0400, Bob Kennedy wrote:
  > I would be more concerned with the squareness of the door frame. If the
lock doesn't work and nothing has changed but the house settling, the first
thing I'd want to check would be if the latch is going into the mortise
correctly. If the house settles the opening might be higher or lower than where
the latch is touching.

  > If that is still lining up but you can push the door open check the
clearance between the door and the jam. The latch can only reach so far and if
you can push the door open this may be the problem.

  > Now if you are saying you can set the dead bolt and can still push the door
open I'd check the clearance between door and jam again. Also check that the
dead bolt is working correctly by turning the key and then the lever and
watching that the bolt is coming all the way out. When you have turned the key
or lever until it stops. At that point push on the dead bolt and see if it goes
back in the door or does it not move at all? If it goes back in the door you
need a new dead bolt. If it doesn't move at all but you can push the door open
while the bolt is out, I would have to think the door had gotten too wide and
the problem is with the door frame, not the dead bolt.

  > Good luck

  Honk if you are against noise pollution!
  Do you Jabber? I do. My JID is: [EMAIL PROTECTED]